Oxford Fertility is located in a purpose built, state of the art facility and is part of the Fertility Partnership. The group is the largest providers of IVF in the UK. Our clinics, our staff and our patients, benefit from the partnership and the expertise of the group. As one of the largest and most progressive clinics in the UK, we perform around 2500 fresh and frozen cycles a year and pride ourselves on providing a highly professional and successful clinical service with excellent success rates.
The post holder will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in leading a working IVF Laboratory, and managing people; they will be a State Registered Embryologist, or eligible for state registration and will lead a team of embryologists, andrologists and technicians. The post holder is responsible for delivering and maintaining the highest standard of andrology, embryology and patient care in accordance with HF&E Act 2008 and the current HFEA Code of Practice. The post holder will coordinate both the andrology and embryology services and be a member of the Clinic Management Team to coordinate the activities of the functional areas of Clinical Services.
- To be a member of Clinics Leadership Team and actively participate in strategy development and decisions about resource allocation and organizational development of the clinic as a whole.
- To represent Oxford Fertility at the quarterly Group Head of Labs and KPI meetings.
- To oversee and coordinate patient throughput between the clinic and its satellite services.
- To ensure all treatments covered by the HFEA license, CQC, ISO other regulatory requirements are in full compliance with those requirements and are documented in line with the clinics policies.
- To ensure adequate staffing and competence in the Lab and to develop work rosters accordingly to meet the needs of the business and ensure cost effective work practices.
- To help develop and manage the Labs budget.
- To actively support patient management and service delivery throughout the patient journey and record such in line with regulatory and clinic requirements, and to ensure that patients are adequately informed about treatment options, treatment outcomes and implications
- To ensure that decisions regarding the Lab area are implemented in line with clinic and group policies.
- To lead the team and manage all aspects of the department
- To regularly assess available statistics and clinical information in order to identify opportunities to improve the andrology/embryology services and success rates of the clinic.
- To ensure that communication and cooperation with other functional areas as well as The Fertility Partnership is effective.
- To be involved in the planning, review, execution and reporting of research projects involving the andrology/embryology area and to ascertain regulatory compliance.
- To work with the Quality Manager to ensure that the Quality Management System is updated in the andrology/embryology area.
- The post holder is expected to participate in all required meetings and to support in-house teaching, information, research and audit presentations. These are held regularly and all staff are expected to attend whenever possible.
- To ensure that the lab team are current with regard to practices and knowledge by providing opportunities for CPD.
- To participate in teaching, training opportunities for staff, students and trainees.
- To actively participate in Patient Information Evenings and to ensure other members of the andrology/embryology team are trained to participate in these sessions.
- To own the risk assessment and health and safety of the Lab area and ensure the safe functioning of their area in line with legislation and clinic and group policies.
- To represent Oxford Fertility and The Fertility Partnership at group meetings, industry events and conferences as required.
Qualifications and experience
- A degree and preferably a post graduate qualification in life sciences; an MSc or PhD is desirable
- Registration or eligible for registration with the Health Professions Council as a Clinical Scientist (Embryology).
- Minimum of 5 years clinical experience with experience in managing and leading an IVF lab team
- A full knowledge of the biology and scientific evidence underpinning clinical embryology practice
- A full knowledge of the work of related disciplines
- A full knowledge of prevailing legislation
- A full working knowledge of, and ability to apply, quality assurance and monitoring of laboratory performance